About The Department
The Department of Assamese, as a distinctive faculty was introduced in 1949, in the year of establishment of the College. At present, the department has 5 teachers. In addition to these who are working against sanctioned posts, there is one part time teacher in the department. As the college in Assam has to take the extra responsibility of the 10+2 level classes, so the existing number of staff is less than sufficient. The ratio of teachers to degree level students is 1: 320. However, all the faculty members are sincere, industrious and dedicated to teaching. There is a healthy and cordial atmosphere in the department which has deep qualitative impact on teaching - learning process.
The department has a library and a cultural museum. The museum is enriched with valuable cultural items including a stone inscription of the 5 th Century A.D. Two journals are subscribed by the departmental library. There are computers and e-resources available in the department.
Future Plan of Action
The department has an action plan for the next five years. It has plans for achieving the following targets:
• The department has a proposal for introducing regular PG classes in Assamese.
• It will initiate a major research project on Socio- Cultural studies of Golaghat, the home district.
• It is going to organize a workshop in collaboration with Sahitya Academy.
• The departmental library will be developed to a full - fledged one.
Facilities available in the department
• Cultural Museum
• Department Library
• e-Resource and Modern learning techniques