About The Department
The History Department of D.R. College as a separate discipline is as old as the college itself. The Department started its functioning along with the college from 01 - 09 - 1949. Distinguished teachers adorned the faculty of History from time to time. In 1961, Honours (Presently Major) in History was introduced. Presently the department has 4 (four) permanent lecturers - One selection grade Lecturer, two Senior grade Lecturers and One Lecturer. All the teachers of the department are sincerely engaged in scholarly persuits. Besides Academic Pursuits they have shown equal commitment towards the society.
The department has its own library which is quite rich in collection of some recent books and journals. The teachers in the Department usually follow the traditional lecture method- “Chalk and Talk”, LCD Projectors and computers are frequently used for comprehensive and fruitful teachings. Apart from these, tutorials and remedial classes are regularly arranged. Unit tests and Home assignments are mandatory for the students as measures to make them prepared for University Examinations. Records of such Unit tests are duly kept by the teachers, Faculty members are available beyond Class - hours and even during vacations for academic interactions and holding special classes.
Future Plan of Action
• Opening of Post - Graduate course
• Establishment of a Historical Museum
• Opening of a Gandhian Study Centre
• To Preserve historical monuments and to create Consciousness among the local people
• Undertake research projects with the assistance of U.G.C
Facilities available in the department
• Digital projection facility for class
• Archaeological museum